Belgian Smart Cities Barometer: a first statistical overview
The future of our municipalities: is it the "Smart City Attitude"?
On 16 February 2017, our team was at the Salon des Mandataires 2017 at the Wex (Marche-en-Famenne) to exclusively present our latest scientific study proposing an inventory of Smart Cities in Belgium. The research, a real barometer of our municipalities, is a first in Belgium, and even internationally.
Indeed, it observes the phenomenon of smart cities in a quantitative way - from perception to execution and initiation - by diving very precisely into the heart of the target.
The survey, conducted among the 589 Belgian municipalities, is statistically representative of Belgian territorial and institutional realities. The results of the research are available in French/English/Dutch, in the form of a report and infographics.
Focus on some key observations
- Enfin, 17% des communes interrogées ont l’intention de rédiger un plan stratégique dédié à l’élaboration de la Smart City.
- Belgian municipalities perceive, in priority, the Smart City as a digital challenge: Overall, Belgian municipalities perceive the Smart City first as a technological issue, then as an opportunity and, finally, as the future of cities.
- 66% of them feel concerned by the issue, although the degree of relevance of the concept varies according to the rural character and the region to which they belong (detail in the report).
- The public sector remains the main initiator of Smart Cities in Belgium (80%) and often dives into the adventure via environmental projects.
- The main difficulties highlighted by the municipalities surveyed are :
- Finally, 17% of the municipalities surveyed intend to draw up a strategic plan dedicated to the development of the Smart City.
Want to know more?
Discover the detailed results in our report and/or the infographics.